Mr. Anderson's Magnolia

Mr. Anderson's Magnolia, originally uploaded by pejnolan.

So, this is the first pull from my first 4-color woodblock print. I'm liking the way it is coming along, but I see everything that needs to be fixed as well.

As carefully as I tried to ensure there would be no extraneous cut marks that received ink, it still managed to be full of them - especially the pink block.

Also, I had ordered white ink from Graphic Chemical, but they canceled my order stating that they had no more in stock and they didn't know when or if they would have any more. So I used white acrylic paint with the red water-based ink because it was the only thing I had on hand. I do not like the color. I want a true pink, not a salmon. I'll have to try something else.

I used goyu washi for this first test. I think kitakata would work better. It gives a more crisp print and I think the ivory / off-white tone would work better as branches.

1 comment:

Denise said...

It's a beautiful design, Erin, and will be even lovelier when you have it just the way you want it!