2.09.2008

Kishwaukee Valley Art League Show


Two of my pieces are hanging in the Egyptian Theatre. ("Seadragon's World" is shown on the left.) This is the first time I've seen my work up - not as a student. It felt great! The colors and textures and people energized me so much that I was on a natural high the entire day.


The series that I'm working on right now is the very first time I've created something for myself: they were not created for a specific class or project or person. They serve no practical purpose. If other people enjoy them, that is terrific and I enjoy hearing their comments. When it comes right down to it, though, it doesn't matter if they like it or not. It doesn't matter if the painting gets in a show, it doesn't matter if it makes money. I'm just making them for me. Selfish, aren't I?


It is liberating not to worry about what other's think. The older I get, the more I realize that I cannot let outside influences determine who I am as a person or as an artist. For too long I allowed myself to be shaped by what people thought of me and what I believed society expected of me.


Ahh, it is late and I'm rambling. Good night.

No comments: