1.31.2011

The Great Horned Owl woodblock is carved


the woodblock is carved, originally uploaded by pejnolan.

This block's image area is 4.5" wide x 6.5" high carved on shina plywood. The tengucho paper that was used to transfer the drawing using sumi ink has not yet been washed off. This makes the image look hard due to the high contrast; however, I'll be using Akua Kolor inks so the final product will be much softer than this photo makes it look at present.

The reference photo came from the Great Horned Owl photo that I took last year at Northern Illinois University Lagoon. For the past many years, the owls nest there. Last year was the first time that I had found their nest and witnessed the owlets growing up. The adult owls came several weeks ago and I am sure they are sitting on their eggs right now.

When I walk Grace in the morning now - no matter how cold it is - there are birds singing. There are also the tell-tale footprints in the snow telling me that the squirrels and rabbits are becoming more active. Signs of Spring are showing up everywhere despite the fact that my area's weather forecast includes up to 24" in snow in the next 72 hours or so: a virtual Snowagedon as one person put it. Ah well, that is fine.

You just keep trying Mr. Winter because your time is going to be over soon and then I will be able to enjoy Spring and Summer and Autumn once again. I can't wait to feel the warmth of the sun on my face and walk outside without a coat. Ummm… just thinking about it makes me feel good all over.

No comments: