6.27.2014

Recent work and works in progress


Title: "My Traveling Companion at the Ridges"
Artist: Erin K. Nolan
Edition: 24
Media: Relief print: woodblock, moku hanga
Year: April, 2014
Print dimensions: 10" x 8"
Paper dimensions: 14" x 12"
Ink: Akua Kolor
Washi: Kozoshi
© 2014 Erin K. Nolan d/b/a Pejnolan Studios

This little guy was at The Ridges Sanctuary in Bailey's Harbor, Door County Wisconsin. I was hiking the paths and suddenly came across this beautiful red squirrel. We both stopped what we were doing when we spotted one another. We considered each other, then slowly started going back to our activities—I started walking once again while he nibbled on a nut. Then he followed me along the fence line like a dog follows its master. Then he angrily chattered at me, trying to tell me something which I could not understand, and ran back into the deep boreal forest of the sanctuary. 

Title: "Cana Island in Winter"
Artist: Erin K. Nolan
Edition: 24
Media: Relief print: woodblock, moku hanga
print dimensions: 8x10
paper dimensions: 11x13
washi: kozoshi
Ink: Akua Kolor
Year: 2014
© 2014 Erin K. Nolan d/b/a Pejnolan Studios

 Proposed title: Indigo Bunting on Cana Island. It will be a multi-block print using tints and tones of phthalo blue, black, and phthalo green. Right now I'm doing color experiments and hope to have the finished prints done by July.


Finally, I've started to rework the koi fish that I had begun during illustration classes at NIU. The original was dimensional, so the texture from the previous painting is being used in the current one. I can't wait to see where this goes!

I'm considering taking the orange koi's tail and extending it to the bottom, under the white koi. The white line work that is there now would be the tail fin. I know that isn't the proper way to work, I ought to make sketches, then revise the sketches, then transfer the finished drawing, then start painting; but I want my paintings to be more unpremeditated. Woodblock prints take the technical, disciplined, and methodical route. My paintings fill the spontaneous, flowing, more intuitive needs that I have when creating artwork. It is a nice division.

No comments: