6.06.2014

Five Lies Answered

I just read this very heartening article entitled, "Five Lies That Could Be Ruining Your Career (And Your Life)" from Duct Tape Marketing. It resonated intimately with me. I encourage you to read it through and seriously consider the questions it poses, not with simple "sound bite" answers. Take just one of the questions and ruminate about it an entire day, or week, or year.

Without spoiling the article, here are the five lies we tell ourselves and my rather incomplete, bloggish responses:


  1. I haven’t found my passion / I don’t have a passion.
    1. Lie! My passion is art! Creating! Creation! Mindfulness!
  2. I can’t afford to leave the job I don’t like.
    1.  Well, I have to say I've had this feeling many times. In my 20s-30s I was crying almost everyday before going to work. It was ruining my well-being and grating away at my self-worth. I went because I needed to support my family and get bills paid. Being stuck in a job sucks. How many of us are walking zombies numbed by the everyday-ness of life? Years sail past like highway hypnosis. Next thing you know, you've wasted years and are filled with regret… Stop the insanity! Wake up! Start living the life you want!
  3. It’s too late to change direction now.
    1. False! Even though I know the direction I want to go, over time that changes, expands, grows and deepens. The "unattainable" goals I made for myself in 2006 were achieved and each year following my goals have broadened. Every new goal is a stepping stone for the next. We never know what is ahead of us! It is a true adventure in the making!
  4. Pursuing my own happiness is selfish. I have a family to think about.
    1. Hyperbole! Pursuing one's own happiness is selfish if that is the sole means and ends. If We are happy and our cup is full, we are better equipped to give—and give generously— to others.
  5. I hate my job now, but I will be happy as soon as I [get the promotion/finish the project/collect my bonus/get my degree].
    1.  Fiction! Dude, we are talking about a person who loves their job, went back to college at 45! The proverbial "grass is always greener" mentality takes hold only when a person is too busy or too overwhelmed to appreciate and be thankful for every blessing they have been given.
Change your story: Instead of "I'll be happy when....", replace with "I am happy now." Do it! Do it anyway!

No comments: