2.22.2010

Oak Crest Printing Demonstration/Lecture













\
Oak Crest Printing Demonstration/Lecture, originally uploaded by pejnolan.

Tonight I was honored to meet my host, Sally, and all the residents at Oak Crest Retirement Center in DeKalb. They welcomed me with a fine dinner and great conversation.

Then it was down to business: I started with a brief history of printmaking starting with the eastern traditions, moving to the west and then finally how Commodore Matthew Perry's travels influenced to two in the mid to late 1800s.

I spoke about why I like woodblock prints and gave a demonstration showing each stage–Blocks using the same sketch were prepared at different stages so I could easily show each step quickly.

After the print was made I answered a few questions and told the stories behind the pieces. The participants seemed to like this part best and they invited me back sometime to show my work again!

Using a microphone wasn't as difficult as I imagined. There was a delay like I was expecting and it wasn't overly loud.

I think next time I would talk less about the history - there is just too much to say - either that or give just a few sentence overview. The demonstration part went smoothly and I don't know that I would change anything there. I had a great time and would enjoy the opportunity to give another "show."

A BIG thank you to Jacob for helping me set-up and clean-up and for taking photographs.

No comments: